Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bread, Water/Wine, & Thou: Resources to Sustain DMP



the web can be a thing of beauty (& sustenance, too)

Best not to launch a serious journey without chocolate.  In order to sustain DMP (digital media production), invest in a supportive network.  Some folks may be able to keep up with the rapid advances in digital media on their own, but I can’t and don’t want to anyway.  The few minutes spent scanning the NWP Daily, the Connected Learning Network, and my email for “ScoopIt Daily Summary” works like morning coffee.  The occasional in-person retreats with colleagues, phone calls, and Google hang-outs provide essential fuel and opportunity to get tips and emotional support.

Here are a few suggestions:

1.  Connect with the National Writing Project .  You can join Connect and Digital Is from their website.  NWP has established support systems and important links with MacArthur Foundation and other leaders in digital media work/play. 

2. Invest in your Personal/Professional Learning Network.  Twitter and Facebook provide efficient ways of sharing resources, publishing notices of blogging, chats, and other opportunities for keeping up.  Kevin Hodgson’s NWP Daily almost always has updates I want to know about.

3. My interest in narrative discourse often gets nurtured by Gregg Morris’ Scoop It site.  I maintain a Good Stories site for my college class on digital media and plan to do another one for our University of Maryland Writing Project collaboration with Emma K Doub ES.
  
4. Check out print resources (duh).  Here are a few from my bookshelf & electronic files:
Alexander, Bryan. The New Digital Storytelling. Praeger, 2011.
Ballast, Kerry. Heart and Voice: A Digital Storytelling Journey.  On nwp.org  2007. http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/2392 .
Buckingham, David.  (Ed.) Youth, Identity, and Digital Media.. MIT Press, 2008.
Fryer, Wesley. Playing with Media. Speed of Creativity Learning LLC, 2011. (kindle)
Gee, James Paul.  New Digital Media and Learning.  MIT Press, 2010
Greenhow, Christine; Beth Robelia, & Joan Hughes. “Learning, Teaching, and Scholarship in a Digital Age: Web 2.0 and Classroom Research: What Path Should We Take Now?” Educational Researcher, 38 (4), 246-259. May 2009.
Herrington, Anne, Kevin Hodgson, & Charles Moran (Eds). Teaching the New Writing: Technology, Change, & Assessment in the 21st Century Classroom.  NWP, 2009.
Hicks, Troy.  The Digital Writing Workshop. Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Heinemann, 2009.
Hobbs, Renee. Reading the Media: Media Literacy in High School English. TC Press, 2007.
  Digital & Media Literacy: Connecting Culture & Classroom. Corwin, 2011.
Jenkins, Henry.  Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century.  MacArthur Foundation, 2009. (available free pdf).
Jenkins, Henry.  Convergence Culture.  New York University Press, 2006.
  Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century. MacArthur, 2011.
Kist, William.  New Literacies in Action: Teaching and Learning in Multiple Media. TC Press, 2005.
Lambert, Joe.  Digital Storytelling: Capturing Lives, Creating Community.(3rd Ed.) Digital Diner Press, 2002/2009. Center for Digital Storytelling. http://www.storycenter.org/book.html
Lankshear, Colin & Michele Knobel. New Literacies: Everyday Practices & Classroom Learning (2nd ed). McGraw-Hill, 2006.
McKay, Katie.  Building Culturally Responsive Units of Study: From Texas to Mexico and Back.  December 1, 2009 http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/2929  
Morrell, Ernest. Linking Literacy & Popular Culture. Christopher Gordon, 2004.
Myers, Jamie and Richard Beach.  “Hypermedia authoring as critical literacy,”  Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 44 (6) March 2001.
National Writing Project. Because Digital Writing Matters. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
Ohler, Jason.  Digital Storytelling in the Classroom.  Corwin, 2008.
Richardson, Will. Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powrful Web Tools for Classrooms (2nd Ed.). Corwin, 2009.
Stephens, Liz Campbell & Kerry Ballast, Using Technology to Improve Adolescent Writing. Pearson, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. My name is Jennifer Whitley. I am from EDM 310 at University of South Alabama. I never realized how important having a PLN was until I started taking this class. I have come to the realization, as a future teacher, that without a PLN I would have to come up with every lesson plan myself with no help and hope my approach is good enough to engage the students. I am now building my PLN. I know I don't have all the answers and I can't be expected to have all of them but I do have all the resources I could even need at my finger tips. Why waste the technology? I would be doing myself and my students an injustice. I can learn from people that have been teaching for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Teachers/learners have been given a terrific resource with digital media and with any resource comes responsibility for stewardship, part of digital citizenship. I like to work at the edge of understanding, the edge of consciousness, like riding a spirited horse with the most subtle cues. A PLN offers a chance at a discourse community where the articulation of this fine edge can be elicited, a sort of listening into being. That's the kind of teaching-learning I love.

    ReplyDelete